I have recently sent out a questionnaire to a group of individuals who are in ministry positions or are in fields that some of you are interested in. This is the first in a series of posts from these dedicated individuals whom I look up to. The goal of these posts are to serve as connection points for those seeking ministry positions and or just looking for more information. If you know of someone who is looking for more information or who has information please contact me!
The first post from the questionnaires comes from Khon Kaen, Thailand and is a personal friend of mine who has helped me better my administration skills. Marc Lewis is a University Campus Minister through Campus Outreach:
Ministry Position or Expertise: University Campus Minister
Where are you located: Khon Kaen, Thailand
How long have you been in/doing current ministry/expertise:
4.5 years all together. Was a youth pastor in the states for about 5 years too.
(In your opinion)
1. What are some things you wish you knew before entering into your specific ministry/expertise?
The Thai Language, Culture, difficulties of living overseas away from what I know.
2. What are some specific ways to build knowledge/experience in your area of ministry/expertise?
• spend time with teenagers and university age students
• Read the book, The Fuel and the Flame 10 Keys to Ignite Your College Campus for Jesus Christ by Steve Shadrach
• Read up on Global Missions, go on local and out of the county mission trips, join a missionaries FB group
• Connect with a Campus Ministry near you and serve them
• Come visit me
3. What are some common challenges associated with your area of ministry/expertise?
• living far away from “home”
• constant shift in cultural norms
• college ministry is very fluid and fast….4 years to reach them and disciple them
• Starting at “who in the world is Jesus”
• Small teams. Your teammates are your co-workers, friends, brothers and sisters..everyone for you. The internet and social networks have been a great tool for some missionaries.
4. What was your biggest learning experience concerning your ministry/expertise?
• walking away from the USA and the things I know, including ministry
• understanding longings…do I desire for Jesus the way I desire for “home”
• Trying to share the gospel with the Thai people
6. What tools/websites do you use in your ministry/expertise?
• simple tools from the Navigators
7. What are some key failures that you would pass along to someone interested in ministry?
• Culture is not king, Jesus is. Be careful how you treat contextualization. Become all things to all men for the sake of their souls, not for the sake of you fitting into the culture….there is much to be said here.
8. What traits must one possess in order to excel in your area ministry/expertise?
• ability to work with others
• ability to work and live with a few folks not a whole big tribe/church
• love of the Word
• a clear understanding of the gospel for yourself
9. What is the vision for your ministry/expertise?
• Our vision is to see Thai men and Women come to faith in Jesus Christ, be discipled and multiply their lives among the Thai people.
10. Do you see any current trends in your area of ministry? Will the trend(s) have a positive/negative impact on future ministry/expertise?
• There is a trend of slowness. We have found that using our current method of evangelism, it takes a long time for people to trust in Christ.
• We need to evaluate our methods more. Our goal is not fast evangelism, however we may miss many opportunities with others to share the good news of Jesus.
1. Does your ministry have a website?
2. What is the best way to contact you if someone has a specific question regarding your field of ministry/expertise?
3. Are you on social media? If so, which ones?
1. What books are you currently reading/recommend?
• I just finished What is the Gospel by Greg Gilbert with 9marks. A great book!
• You can see my book list and recommendations on my facebook profile page. There is a tab.
2. What was your latest itunes download?
• Some Jon Foreman
3. What is your latest project/event that people should know about?
•I am currently preparing to lead a group of 10 university students from The Gulf Coast (USA) to help us here in Khon Kaen. There will be about 28 training sessions as they minister to students for seven weeks this summer.