Hey everyone, it is my privilege to present a pastor of 40 years and a cousin of mine, Ron Lasley. Pastor Ron is someone that I look up to in ministry. This is the third post in a series called “ministry helps”, although under a new title I have named Insights from a pastor. Check out Pastor Ron’s wisdom:
Name: Pastor Ron Lasley
Nickname: Faster pastor
Ministry Position or Expertise: presently minister of outreach/evangelism
Where are you located? Pleasant Grove Baptist Church/ Maranatha community fellowship
How long have you been in/doing current ministry/expertise: Just started but been in the ministry for 40 years
(In your opinion)
1. What are some things you wish you knew before entering into your specific ministry/expertise? Being better equipped to deal with people who seemed to be against anything new. Wish I had been mentored for the position better by someone who would take the time.
2. What are some specific ways to build knowledge/experience in your area of ministry/expertise?
Read and listen, not be in to big a hurry to get started it is better to wait on starting then to mess things up and hinder what you are trying to accomplish.
3. What are some common challenges associated with your area of ministry/expertise?
Finding people who get it, understanding that the Kingdom of God is bigger then the church you are in. Finding people that will support you and work with you in an area that is not traditional.
4. What was your biggest learning experience concerning your ministry/expertise?
Learning to be what God called you to be and not what others, the seminary or the church says you should be. (cookie cutter preachers)
5. What advice would you give someone interested in pursuing ministry/expertise?
Find a successful mentor, study, learn, listen, wait till you have clear direction from God, spend an enormous time with God and Bible study, not what Calvin or the Armenian and ask God to give you a burden for souls.
6. What tools/websites do you use in your ministry/expertise?
THE TRUTH PROJECT, EXPERIENCING GOD, CHURCH PLANTING etc.
7. What are some key failures that you would pass along to someone interested in ministry?
Unless you have clear direction in an area, do what you know to do, we have all been called into ministry, we all have a calling, you do not necessarily have to go to Africa to do ministry unless you are clearly being called to go there.
8. What traits must one possess in order to excel in your area ministry/expertise?
Be a people person who learns to listen and patiently teach, Paul told us in II Tim to reprove, rebuke and exhort with great patience.
9. What is the vision for your ministry/expertise?
Planting a new effective church and growing believers to be involved in ministry, DUDE Doctrinally sound, unity stressed, Duty expected and Excitement for Jesus.
10. Do you see any current trends in your area of ministry? Will the trend(s) have a positive/negative impact on future ministry/expertise?
Yes, the church has been influenced by the lies of Satan and has gotten comfortable in just going to heaven. We have for years attempted to scare the hell out of them but have not taught them how to fall in love with Jesus.
1. Does your ministry have a website? Yes or No, If so, write URL in space below:
http://thefasterpastor.wordpress.com – UNDER CONSTRUCTION –
2. What is the best way to contact you if someone has a specific question regarding your field of ministry/expertise?
3. Are you on social media?
1. What books are you currently reading/recommend?
Anything written by Piper, seven steps to planting a church
2. What is your latest project/event that people should know about?
Teaching truth project at my home